Our pores are important for our skin’s health, providing the oils that keep our skin moisturized and soft. Many men and women, however, find that their pores look enlarged in some areas. While this is not dangerous or anything to worry about, most people prefer to have smooth, or nearly invisible pores. If you want to know what causes large pores, and what treatments are effective for large pores, keep on reading.
Image Source: iStock.com/Wavebreakmedia
What Causes Large Pores?
There are many different causes of large pores. Here are some of the most common causes:
1. Genetics: Some people have different skin than others. If large pores, oily skin, and acne run in your family, chances are it will happen to you as well.
2. Oily and unclean skin: When oils settle around the pores, they appear larger as the skin thickens around them.
3. Sun-damaged skin: Sun damage causes the skin to age and appear thicker as cells build up around pore openings.
4. Makeup buildup: Makeup can cause pores to appear enlarged rather than hiding skin imperfections, especially when it is not properly cleaned off each night. Makeup can settle into unclean skin and highlight them instead of hiding them. Cosmetics can also be a magnet for dirt and oils, causing clogged, large pores, and shiny skin.
5. Aging: As the skin ages, the glands that cause cell renewal activity and the production of collagen and elastin decreases, increasing the visibility of large pores.
Home Remedies to Treat Large Pores
- Remove cosmetics completely each night and cleanse your skin without over washing or aggravating your skin
- Use toners to tighten your skin and prevent large pores from appearing too obvious
- Exfoliate your skin once a week to remove dead skin cells and build up of makeup, dirt, and oil
- Use a non-oil-based moisturizer with SPF to nourish your skin to protect it from the elements, dirt, oil, and sunlight
What Is the Best Treatment to Reduce Large Pores?
No matter what factors are causing your large pores, there have been great advancements in technology and treatments to reduce the size and appearance of them. Large pores can be treated by procedures that increase the production of collagen in the skin. One of the most effective treatments to reduce large pores is the Hollywood Spectra Peel.
The Spectra Peel is a treatment that requires no downtime and rejuvenates the appearance of damaged, aging skin. This gentle procedure works well on most skin types and gives the skin a quick boost without the downtime and recovery associated with other laser and skin rejuvenation procedures. Using a gentle laser, it evens the skin tone, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and diminishes the appearance of acne scars for a more vibrant, firm, youthful appearance. Although one treatment alone produces results, the most effective results are after several treatments over a period of time.
How Does the Spectra Laser Carbon Procedure Treat Large Pores?
The laser works to reduce visible skin pigmentation, improve skin tone, and diminish large pores. It also reduces the appearance of textural irregularities. It works in three ways: first it has the laser peel effect equivalent to four chemical peels, secondly by targeting the melanin in the cells and breaking it up for the body to eliminate it through the lymphatic system; and then by heating the dermis to stimulate the production of collagen. During your treatment session, the technician will apply a layer of special lotion onto the skin. This lotion has a carbon base, and once applied, it looks like a mud mask. The laser will then target the affected areas of the skin to clean away the dirt and oil on the skin’s surface and clear the pores.
Get Spectra Peel at the Anti Aging Toronto Clinic
The Spectra Peel treatment is equal to having four chemical peels in one session, without the risks and recovery time. It is highly effective to treating inflamed acne, Melasma, enlarged pores, and signs of aging. If you’re looking for a way to improve your skin tone, texture, and elasticity, and reversing damaged skin, scarring, age spots, and wrinkles. If you’re looking for an effective treatment for large pores, Spectra Peel is the answer.
At the Anti Aging Toronto Clinic, we pride ourselves on using the latest clinical methods to give our patients the best anti-aging, body care, and fat loss treatment options. We support our clients being able to make informed decisions about how to pursue solutions for enlarged pores and other skin complications, and we are proud to employ some of the best treatments and practitioners in Toronto. Feel free to contact us by phone at (416) 546-4664 or by e-mail at info@AntiAgingToronto.ca to ask any questions. Our skincare specialists can also offer you a tour of our Toronto facilities.
How many treatments do I need?
Since aging is a natural process, fighting it is an ongoing struggle. The Spectra Peel treatment is so gentle that you can have it once or multiple times. If you have stubborn skin that is not responding as well as you’d like after one or two sessions, schedule more and speak with your technician about a treatment course that works for you.
When can I return to my daily activities?
The Spectra Peel treatment is so gentle, you can schedule a session during the week and return to work the following day. There is no down time or severe side effects, so you can continue your daily activities right after.
Does it hurt?
Most patients do not experience pain from the treatment, and return to their daily activities immediately after. Most feel a slight warming of the skin and a prickling feeling, but no anesthesia or topical pain relievers are needed.
Why did my pores get bigger all of a sudden?
There are many different reasons why your pores may appear larger. Makeup, dirt, and oil could be clogging your skin. If this happens, you can use any of the previously mentioned home remedies to clear your skin. If your pores still look large after a few days, the Spectra Peel treatment will be the best solution.
Do men get large pores?
Both men and women can experience large pores. Women, however, tend to be more attentive to their pores as they generally seek ways to have clearer, brighter skin.