People seem to think that acne breakouts only happen in their teenage years, but that’s not always the case. Many people might enjoy beautiful clear skin in their youth and then start to develop acne as they get older. Some people have acne prone skin that follows them from their youth into adulthood. This is what’s known as adult acne and there are many reasons why it can happen, namely hormonal changes in your body caused by pregnancy, puberty, menstruation, certain medications, etc. If you have acne pitted scars on your face, keep reading for some great tips on how to get rid of acne scars.
Why Do Acne Pitted Scars Appear?
Severe acne breakouts can leave behind acne pitted scars on the face. Acne pitted scars are the residual crater-like depressions that appear and remain on the surface of the skin long after the pimples, redness, and irritation have cleared. For some, they serve as a constant reminder of their acne-prone skin and they can be a source of constant low self-esteem.
There are different types of acne scars. Depressed and raised acne scars are the most common ones.
Depressed acne scars are a result of the body producing insufficient amounts of collagen, which is needed to repair blemishes on the skin. This causes depressions or pits to form where the acne marks were as the skin attempts to heal itself.
Raised acne cars occur when the body produces an overabundance of collagen in an effort to repair the skin. Collagen overproduction in response to acne marks can result in the skin producing excess amounts of scar tissue in the affected area, which is why the acne scars are convex instead of concave.
But there’s some great news. Acne scar treatment in Toronto can help reduce and even eliminate the look of acne scars, so you can show your face with a renewed sense of confidence.
Other Types of Acne Scars
Acne scars can come in all shapes and sizes. While depressed and raised acne scars are the most common ones, here are a few others that also warrant acne scar treatment or removal in Toronto.
- Ice-pick scars. Resembling enlarged or swollen pores, ice-pick scars jut out of the skin in a cone-like shape.
- Rolling scars. Rolling scars are fairly common primarily in the lower half of the face, which has thicker skin. They typically appear along the jawline and lower cheeks. Rolling scars appear to be undulating almost like small mountain peaks.
- Boxcar scars. Boxcar acne scars typically have sharp vertical edges and form in an almost oval shape. In terms of size, they fall somewhere between ice-pick and rolling scars.
How to Get Rid of Your Acne Scars
There are a variety of effective at-home and clinical acne and acne scar treatments that you can try to reduce the appearance of acne for clear, blemish-free skin.
- Retinoids. Topical retinoids are over-the-counter acne and acne scar treatments that come in the form of gels, creams, and lotions. They contain various medicinal compounds that are derived from Vitamin A. Retinoids effectively reduce inflammation and acne lesions while also facilitating the cell regeneration process, so that your skin can effectively heal itself. They also lighten areas where hyperpigmentation occurs as a result of acne to reduce the appearance of scars for all skin tones.
- Salicylic acid. As a naturally occurring hydroxyl acid, salicylic acid is a common ingredient of many over-the-counter brand name and store-brand acne removal and treatment remedies. Its main property is providing an exfoliating deep clean for the skin, effectively removing all dirt, oil, and dead skin cells that can clog the pores. It works great as part of a daily preventative skincare routine or to reduce and eliminate acne breakouts. Salicylic acid can be found in both prescription and non-prescription acne medications in varying strengths.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids. Alpha hydroxyl acids gently exfoliate the skin and deep cleans the pores to remove dirt and oil build up while also removing dead skin cells. AHAs are responsible diminishing the appearance of acne scars by removing dead skin cells and scraping away the outer layers of the skin to unveil the underlying fresh layer of healthy, smooth, and clean skin.
- Lactic acids. Lactic acids gently peel away dead skin cells to prevent them from clogging your pores and reduce the appearance of acne scars. But they can also cause hyperpigmentation in some people. It’s important to test out products containing lactic acids on a small patch of skin to see if you have a reaction before applying them to your face.
- Natural remedies. Use natural remedies like coconut oil, shea butter, raw honey, aloe vera gel, and baking soda sparingly on your skin as their acne clearing effects are largely anecdotal at this point and there aren’t many scientific studies that can attest to their large-scale effectiveness.
Professional Acne Treatments
- Chemical peels. Trychloroacetic acid-based chemical peels are especially effective for combatting ice-pick acne scars by gently peeling away several layers of surface skin using a fine-tipped pin. This treatment stimulates natural collagen production which prompts the body to heal itself and fill in the acne pitted scars.
- Laser treatment. Advanced laser treatment like the Spectra Peel uses dual action to attack acne deep in the dermis. Step one is stimulating skin cell regeneration and inflammation reduction. Step two is to remove dead skin cells on the surface of the skin and unclog pores to treat active acne.
- Dermal filler injections. When injected into the skin, dermal fillers can actually promote collagen production and self-healing qualities in the skin. Hyaluronic acid injections raise depressed acne pitted skin to the surface to create an even and smooth skin tone.
- Microneedling. Tiny needles are inserted into the skin around acne scars to promote self-healing collagen production in the body. Collagen strengthens the skin’s elasticity and results in an even skin tone.
Get Professional Acne Scar Treatment in Toront
If you’re looking for laser acne treatment in Toronto, then you’ve come to the right place. The Anti Aging Toronto Clinic provides a variety of effective acne and acne scar removal treatments that can yield long-term results for your skin. Contact us today to book your initial consultation.